How to Sharpen Blurry Images - 5 Tricks to Restore a Photo
The aim of every photographer is making a high quality shot. What if something goes wrong and your most eye-catching photos come out to be hazy? In photography, it’s a well-known defect. How can you fix a blurry photo? Keep reading to learn how to make your images clear with PhotoWorks or what other techniques to use.
Blurry picture: before and after editing
5 Tricks to Enhance Blurry Pictures
There are plenty of options for picture sharpening in PhotoWorks software. Choose the tool depending on what you need to correct and what result you expect to get – sharpen the whole image or its specific areas. Let’s see what tools you can use to sharpen blurry images and how they work:
- Way 1. The Sharpness tool sharpens out of focus photos
- Way 2. The Clarity tool makes the entire image clearer
- Way 3. The Adjustment Brush accentuates a certain object in a photo
- Way 4. The Radial Filter accentuates a specific area in a photo
- Way 5. The Graduated Filter sharpens hazy areas in landscapes or urban photos
1. Sharpen Out-of-Focus Photos with the Sharpness Tool
The Sharpness tool in PhotoWorks will help you fix most blurry pictures. In this photo editor you can work with JPG, PNG and RAW files. Here are the steps for you to follow:
- Set the Sharpness amount. In the Enhancement tab, set the sharpness effect amount to focus a blurry photo. Moving the Amount slider to the right will make your pic sharper.
- Change the Radius degree. To make the objects’ edges crisp and well visible, increase the Radius. This way, you will determine the size of the editing area and the amount of pixels to sharpen around the edges.
- Adjust the Threshold setting. The optimal degree of Threshold varies from 3 to 10. If you set it at 0, every single pixel will be affected by sharpening and as a result your photo will look harsh and unpleasant for the eyes.
Keep an eye on the preview box to control the sharpness amount
Prefer to take photos with your phone camera and don't feel like editing your pictures with some desktop software? Nowadays, you can sharpen your photos right on your cell phone. You don't have to browse AppStore or Google Play yourself to find the perfect application. Learn about 12 best mobile apps for fixing blurry photos.
2. Improve the Image Quality with the Clarity Tool
Whereas the Sharpness tool accentuates the borders between the areas next to each other, Clarity is used to increase the midtone contrast of the entire photo. Let’s see how to edit blurry pictures with the Clarity tool step-by-step:
- Open the Enhancement tab. Since Clarity is a tool for global photo improving, you’ll find it in the main settings of the Enhancement tab.
- Adjust the Clarity degree to make the photo sharper. Drag the Clarity slider out. It will help you repair a blurry photo and counter undesired flatness by bringing out its texture. However, avoid increasing Clarity in portraits unless you intend to emphasize spots, wrinkles and other skin flaws.
Increase clarity to bring out texture
3. Accentuate an Object with the Adjustment Brush
For local sharpening, consider using the Adjustment Brush. With it, you can draw attention to a certain object in your photograph. It’s a perfect tool to make the subject’s eyes sparkling and bright.
- Select the Adjustment Brush. Open the Retouch tab and pick the Adjustment Brush from the toolkit on the right.
- Customize the brush settings. In the Sharpness tab, set the amount of the sharpening effect. Then, adjust the Radius to control the size of the area to sharpen around the edges. And finally, change the Threshold degree - at 0 each and every pixel will be affected, at the maximum degree nothing will be sharpened.
- Make the selection less blurry. Now, just ‘paint’ the adjustment on where you want to remove blurring. All the brush settings will be applied automatically.
Use the Adjustment Brush for sharpening the eyes
Whenever we talk about photo editing software, it's impossible not to tackle the Adobe products. Photoshop and Lightroom have become a staple in photo editing. Rich in tools and features, these softwares however are notoriously hard to grasp. If you like their rich fuctionality despite their price and confusing workflow, then learn how you can sharpen your photo with Photoshop.
4. Make a Certain Area Stand Out with the Radial Filter
While the Adjustment Brush is suitable to work on small details, the Radial Filter helps sharpen and highlight a larger area. Let’s learn how to enhance a blurry photo with this sharpening instrument:
- Choose the Radial Filter. After you’ve launched PhotoWorks, switch to the Retouch tab. In the set of tools on the right, pick the Radial Filter.
- Select the editing area. Create an elliptical selection with your mouse. To do it, click and hold its left button. It’s possible to resize and reshape your selection by dragging control handles in or out.
- Edit the selection with the sharpener. To begin with, adjust the filter settings inside the oval mask. Increase sharpness and contrast, make the region less blurred but more bright and saturated.
- Adjust the background sharpness. Now, make the same selection in order to edit the area outside of it. Desaturate it and add some blurriness. This way, you’ll make the central part sharper and more noticable.
Accentuate the rings in the center of the picture
5. Increase Sharpness With the Graduated Filter
Use the Graduated Filter to make particular regions in your photo more detailed by sharpening them. This tool is suitable for correcting landscapes or city views.
- Choose the Graduated Filter. First of all, run the photo sharpener and open the Retouch tab. You’ll see the Graduated Filter in the editing toolkit - click on it.
- Select the area to unblur. Press and hold the left button of your mouse to make a selection for enhancing. It can be the upper half of the picture (the sky) or the lower one (the ground or the water), or edit them both in turn.
- Change the Graduated Filter settings. In the Sharpness tab, adjust the Amount, Radius and Threshold degree just the same way as you did while trying the Radial Filter and the Adjustment Brush. By moving the sliders, determine how strong the effect will be, how many pixels will be affected and how crisp the edges will become.
The Graduated Filter is the best tool to enhance landscape or architectural views
So make your picture less blurry with PhotoWorks! Try this software's de-blurring fuctions for free!
Full support for Windows 10, 8, 7, XP
Whatever issue plagues your picture, PhotoWorks has a solution for it. Turn your ruined picture into a masterpiece within minutes!
If you have blurry photos, you will surely find a suitable tool in this photo sharpening software. But with PhotoWorks, you can not only fix out of focus photos. This easy picture enhancer allows you to make other local and global enhancements to improve your spoiled shots. Here’s what you can do with the help of PhotoWorks tools:
- change the colors of a particular object;
- hide the skin imperfections;
- remove unwanted objects;
- improve the photo composition;
- correct lens distortions;
- apply artistic effects;
- add captions to your photos.
Change the color of an object in a couple of mouse clicks
Feel interested? Then launch the program and start editing your pictures right now: restore blurry photos, adjust color balance, apply special effects and make your average images stunning!
There is certainly more to the photo editing pool than just Photoshop, Lightroom, and PhotoWorks. If you want to try some new approach - and perhaps discover your next favourite photo editing software in the process - then learn how you can sharpen your blurry photos using other software.